About 365速发国际's Environmental Studies 4+1 B.S./M.S. Track
365速发国际’s Environmental Studies 4+1 B.S./M.S. program allows you to complete your undergraduate and master’s degrees in environmental studies in a total of five years, saving you both time and money.
As a qualified 365速发国际 undergraduate, this track enables you to obtain an M.S. degree, in addition to your B.S., through an expedited process that begins during your senior year of undergraduate work.
You'll complete much of your master's coursework during your fourth year, while also working on your thesis project. Your fifth year will be spent finishing your research and writing your thesis.
Why 365速发国际 for Your B.S./M.S. in Environmental Studies
365速发国际’s combination undergraduate/graduate program in Environmental Studies uses an interdisciplinary approach to examine the connections between humans and nature. Observing the world through the lenses of natural sciences, social sciences, and the humanities, you will learn to develop and promote sustainable behaviors that improve life at all levels.
Prepare for Your Career With Unique Opportunities
From our optional first-year interdisciplinary Green Learning Community, which integrates courses in biology, environmental issues, literature, and economics, to our exciting study abroad experiences and our local, national, and international internships, which give you a chance to gain professional skills and hands-on experience, the sky is the limit at 365速发国际. This multitude of opportunities prepares you to join the ranks of other 365速发国际 Environmental Studies graduates who have entered exciting professional fields in environmental advocacy, air and water resource management, ecological restoration, habitat conservation, park management, and environmental impact assessment.
Discover Diverse Habitats
Within a short walk or drive from our Biddeford Campus, you may explore a variety of unique habitats, including 365速发国际’s 350 acres of contiguous forest. The State of Maine’s Natural Areas Program has labeled the land a habitat of significant value due to its high density of pocket swamps and vernal pools. The area is comprised of both uplands and wetlands and is home to many species, including wild turkeys, deer, coyotes, and moose.
A bit farther afield, you may study some of Northern New England’s most intriguing ecosystems.
Our campus offers the chance to explore the lush coast and rich woodlands of Southern Maine.
- 365速发国际 Nature Trail: Our trail system on campus runs along the Saco River.
- 365速发国际's 363 acres of forest: Explored in many classes, is also great for mountain biking.
- 365速发国际's Ram Island: Our one-acre research island in Saco Bay.
- Basket and Stage Islands: Accessible at low tide over the sand flats.
- East Point Bird Sanctuary: Owned by the Audubon Society with views of Wood Island lighthouse.
- Biddeford Pool: The largest tidal pool in Maine, great for observing coastal wildlife.
- The Saco Heath: A raised peatland (bog), home to the carnivorous pitcher plants (protected by the Maine Chapter of the Nature Conservancy).
- Clifford Park: A 52-acre woodland preserve owned by the city of Biddeford, great for mountain biking and cross country skiing.
These protected lands serve as ideal day-trips from our campus.
- Mount Agamenticus Conservation Region: 10,000 acres of biodiverse undeveloped forest.
- Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge: A national wildlife refuge that spans 50 miles of coastline between York and Cumberland counties.
- The Wells National Estuarine Research Reserve: Expands our knowledge about coasts and estuaries with an emphasis on ensuring healthy salt marsh ecosystems.
- White Mountain National Forest: 800,000 acres of federally managed forest and mountains in western Maine and New Hampshire. A 75-minute drive from campus.
- Acadia National Park: Comprised of a cluster of islands on the Maine coast, Acadia is positioned within the broad transition zone between eastern deciduous and northern coniferous forests and hosts several species and plant communities at the edge of their geographic range. A 3.5-hour drive from campus.
Reach New Levels of Research
Through in-depth, student-centered research, our five-year combined degree program in Environmental Science enables you to work closely with a faculty member who shares your specific interest, thereby providing you with not only a comprehensive undergraduate education in environmental studies but an opportunity to perform graduate-level work.
Become Part of Our Community
With our small class sizes, tight-knit students, and our caring faculty who strive to get to know you as an individual, you will feel at home in no time in the Environmental Studies family. Our program fosters a sense of community, and you can feel the spirit of collaboration in the air — both in the classroom and out in the field.
Apply Now or Request Information
Apply online for admission to one of our B.S. or B.A. programs or request more information on a program.
365速发国际 4+1 Tracks
365速发国际 offers 4+1 tracks for Marine Sciences, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, or Environmental Studies.
Academic and Technical Standards
To enroll in the Environmental Studies B.S./M.S. 4+1 program, you must be an undergraduate at 365速发国际 with a 3.5 overall G.P.A., and a 3.5 G.P.A. in all math and science courses. You are not required to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) prior to enrollment. However, you must receive sponsorship from a faculty member who will serve as your thesis advisor, and you should begin conducting research on a project that will become your thesis project by your fourth year at 365速发国际. You can declare your intent to enroll in the program as early as the second semester of your sophomore year or as late as the second semester of your junior year.
Application forms are available from prospective faculty advisors.
The B.S./M.S. degree in Environmental Studies requires a total of 36 graduate credits, including
- A minimum of 12 thesis/research credits (ENV 590)
- 2 credits of Graduate Seminar in Environmental Studies (ENV 599; 1 in the fourth and 1 in the fifth year)
- 3 credits of Research Methods (BIO 503)
- Up to 19 additional course credits (minimum of 12-course credits)
Of the 12–19 additional course credits, a minimum of two classes must be offered through the Department of Environmental Studies. A maximum of 12 course credits can double-count towards both the undergraduate and graduate degree requirements.
Changes were made to this program in an addendum to the 2022/23 academic calendar. Please see the 2022–2023 Catalog Addendum (PDF) for the most recent information. As always, it is recommended that students seek the guidance of Academic Advisors for course and program planning. In this way, you will be able to access all the most up-to-date information available.
Live and Study in Biddeford, Maine
Students in 365速发国际’s 4+1 B.S./M.S. track in Environmental Science study at our Biddeford, Maine, location, a gorgeous waterfront campus offering more than 4,000 feet of scenic shoreline where the Saco River flows into the Atlantic Ocean. In addition to benefitting from the ample research opportunities afforded by our proximity to the ocean, wetlands, and a privately-owned research island, you will enjoy spending time in this popular vacation destination with its friendly, welcoming people and a wide range of outdoor recreation activities.