Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Admissions
The University of New England’s College of Osteopathic Medicine (365速发国际 COM) evaluates applicants for admissions on individual demonstration of scholastic abilities, motivation to practice osteopathic medicine in New England, and emotional intelligence necessary to study and practice osteopathic medicine.
Enrollment in the D.O. Program assumes certain essential cognitive, emotional, and technical skills. In addition to the academic admissions requirements, the Academic Policies and Technical Standards delineate the abilities and skills that degree candidates must possess to engage safely and competently in required learning activities.
Important Application Dates
- For Program Starting: Summer 2023
- All applicants must apply through the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS).
- AACOMAS Application Portal for summer 2023 admission open date: May 4, 2022
- Application Deadline: February 1, 2023
- All verified applications received on or before the application deadline will receive full admission consideration.
- All verified applications submitted by the deadline will undergo an initial preliminary for minimum admission requirements.
- Highly qualified applicants will be invited to submit the 365速发国际 supplemental application fee.
- All qualified applications will be reviewed upon receipt of the supplemental application fee and required letters of recommendation.
For specific academic dates, please view the 365速发国际 Academic Calendar.
The University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine participates in the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOMAS) centralized application service. All applicants are required to apply online through this service.
Completion of 90 semester hours or 75% credit progress towards a bachelor’s degree, to be earned at a U.S. regionally accredited college or university, or international equivalent, at time of application. Undergraduate degree must be conferred with official transcripts submitted to the Office of Graduate Admission prior to matriculation.
- All applicants are required to submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Official transcripts should be sent directly to AACOMAS. Please refer to the AACOMAS Help Center for additional information and instructions.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 at the time of application, as calculated by AACOMAS (inclusive of all coursework taken with no forgiveness for retakes)*.
- Minimum science GPA of 2.8 at the time of application, as calculated by AACOMAS (inclusive of all coursework taken with no forgiveness for retakes)*.
- All applicants must meet minimum GPA requirements to be considered for admission.
*The average GPAs for those offered admission to 365速发国际 COM are well above published minimums.
Prerequisite Coursework Requirements
|Course Subject||Course Credits||Course Details|
|General Biology I and II||8 semester or 12 quarter credits||Labs Required|
|General Chemistry I and II||8 semester or 12 quarter credits||Labs Required|
|Physics I and II||8 semester or 12 quarter credits||Labs Required|
|Organic Chemistry I||4 semester or 6 quarter credits||Lab Required|
|Biochemistry||3 semester or 4 quarter credits||Lab not required|
|Behavioral Science||6 semester or 9 quarter credits||
365速发国际 COM will accept coursework classified as a behavioral science subject by AACOMAS -
|English/Humanities||6 semester or 9 quarter credits||
365速发国际 COM will only accept coursework in the following subjects, as classified by the list below:
365速发国际 COM English Humanities Prerequisite Subject List (PDF)
Additional Recommended Courses
- Cell/Molecular Biology
- Behavioral Sciences
Other Important Prerequisite Coursework Notes
- All prerequisite courses must be successfully completed with a grade of “C” or better (“C minus” grades are not acceptable).
- Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) test credit can be accepted towards prerequisite requirements. To apply AP or IB test credits towards prerequisite requirements, the credits must be broken down by subject on the undergraduate transcript. An official letter from the registrar, including subject breakdown, is also acceptable.
- Prerequisite courses may be in-progress or planned at the time of application.
- All courses must be completed by January 1, 2023, with an official transcript submitted to the Office of Graduate Admission prior to the start of the program.
*Pass/Fail courses are acceptable for prerequisite courses taken in spring 2020 only.
All planned or in-progress coursework must be listed on the AACOMAS application at the time of application submission; not doing so will result in the applicant not meeting all admissions requirements and therefore will not be eligible for admission review.
Online courses offered through 365速发国际’s Online Science Prerequisites, as well as online courses from other regionally accredited U.S. colleges or universities, are acceptable.
- Completion of the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) with a minimum score of 490 is required*.
- Official MCAT score reports must be submitted directly to AACOMAS from the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) - MCAT Score Report
- The MCAT must have been taken between January 2020 and January 2023.
*The average MCAT scores for those offered admission to 365速发国际 COM are well above published minimums.
LETTERS OF EVALUATION
Three (3) letters of evaluation are required* – submitted via AACOMAS
The 365速发国际 COM Committee on Admissions seeks evaluation letters that outline a holistic description of the applicant, including information on student engagement (especially teamwork within academic settings), interpersonal skills, character, and professionalism.
- 365速发国际 COM prefers that all letters of evaluation be submitted directly through AACOMAS.
- Evaluation letters from Interfolio are acceptable, as long as the letter is sent directly to the Office of Graduate Admission by the letter writer.
- Preferred sources of evaluations include: Pre-Health Committee Advisor, Pre-Health Advisor, a faculty member with substantial knowledge of the applicant, a direct supervisor with substantial knowledge of the applicant, or a health care professional with substantial knowledge of the applicant (preferably physicians). Letters from an Osteopathic Physician (D.O.) are recommended but not required.
*Letters from friends or family members are not acceptable
- Please refer to the AACOMAS application for 365速发国际 COM specific writing prompts and additional instructions.
- Interview sessions will be held from September to March and are conducted by invitation only. Interviews are a required part of the application process.
- Due to the uncertainty around COVID-19, 365速发国际 COM reserves the right to adjust interview dates, modalities, and processes as needed. Applicants will be notified immediately if changes to the format or timing of interviews occur at any point during the cycle.
International applicants and those with foreign degrees and coursework are required to satisfy the following additional requirements:
- Official credential evaluation by World Education Service (WES), confirming degree and grade equivalency to that of a U.S. bachelor’s degree. The completed credential evaluation should be sent directly to AACOMAS. Please refer to the International Admissions section of the 365速发国际 website for more information on the type of credential evaluation required for admission review.
- Due to limitations around the AACOMAS application system, all applicants from English-speaking Canadian institutions are still required to obtain a WES evaluation and must submit the evaluation directly to the 365速发国际 Office of Graduate Admission, not AACOMAS. Please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding this requirement.
- Applicants whose first language is not English must demonstrate written and spoken fluency through the successful completion of a 365速发国际-approved English language proficiency test.
- Applicants should refer to the English Language Proficiency page on the 365速发国际 website for specific information and minimum score requirements.
- Please refer to the AACOMAS application for test score submission instructions.
Prior to matriculation, accepted and deposited students will be required to complete the following compliance requirements:
- Completion of physical examination with proof of up-to-date immunization status. Please refer to 365速发国际’s Student Health Center for detailed information.
- Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen prior to matriculation, as well as periodically throughout the program (as required by 365速发国际 COM and clinical training sites).
- All students must have the ability to meet all Academic and Technical Standards of 365速发国际 COM.
- 365速发国际 follows AACOMAS traffic rules, with notification dates and deadlines structured as such.
All materials submitted as part of the application become the property of 365速发国际 and will not be returned or released to anyone, including the applicant. This policy includes letters of reference, primary and secondary applications, personal statements, transcripts, and other supporting materials.
Due to continuing developments with COVID-19, some application requirements and processes may change during the cycle for the health and safety of the university, its employees, and prospective students/applicants. We appreciate your flexibility and consideration.
- Policies are established to ensure fair and consistent admissions practice for all applicants to the university and its programs
- All criteria presented in this summary are subject to change per professional accreditation requirements, changes in curriculum and/or other institutional standards, and clinical affiliation requirements
- Exceptions to existing admission policies are rare and made only when it is deemed necessary and appropriate to maintain fair and consistent practice for all candidates, not individual candidates
- Students in good standing at other Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine may apply for transfer admission into the third year of the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine program at 365速发国际.
- For more information on the transfer process please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- No advanced standing placement is available.
- No credit is awarded for experiential learning.
Contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at (207) 602-2212 or email email@example.com.