Imagine a world with no child labor regulations, no seatbelt laws, and no anti-pollution policies. Public health researchers, policy-makers, and educators make our lives safer by improving our living conditions, regulating health care and safety, and educating us to make healthy choices. 365速发国际’s Bachelor of Science in Public Health provides a solid foundation in a broad range of public health areas, from chronic disease management and environmental hazard mitigation to childbirth education and epidemiology. Join us in caring about the greater good of humankind, and make a real impact on our society.
The University of New England B.S. in Public Health is a new degree offering. We will file for accreditation through the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Why 365速发国际 for Public Health
As a comprehensive health sciences university with a wide range of health professions programs, we are able to engage our students with cross-disciplinary study and interprofessional experiences that enrich your education – and your resume.
- Exceptional research opportunities for undergraduates
- Service learning and community experience
- Exciting internships for on-the-job learning
- Multiple study abroad options
- Opportunity to pursue an online 365速发国际 Master in Public Health (M.P.H.) degree
- Access to professional conferences and leading experts
What is Public Health?
According to the World Health Organization, public health is defined as "all organized measures to prevent disease, promote health, and prolong life among the population as a whole. Its activities aim to provide conditions in which people can be healthy and focus on entire populations, not on individual patients."
As a Public Health major at 365速发国际, you will come to understand highly complex health issues that affect communities, and you’ll develop the skills needed to generate solutions. Through service-learning and internships, you’ll discover how to work collaboratively to communicate strategies to diverse audiences. Careers in public health include numerous rewarding professions, such as:
- Governmental Health Program Manager
- Public Health Educator
- Nonprofit Public Health Director
- Hospital Administrator/Infection Control Officer
- Health Researcher
- Community Health Program Manager
- Environmental Health Officer
Whether you have a specific career goal in mind or a vague idea of the field that interests you, the Office of Career Services is here to help you plan your next step.
Public Health Careers By The Numbers
Expected rate of job growth in the community health field from 2016 to 2026
new community health jobs expected to open in U.S. between 2016 and 2026
The Public Health degree is part of 365速发国际’s School of Nursing and Population Health. Your coursework will expand on five core areas within the public health sphere:
- Health Policy: Developing laws and regulations to promote and protect health
- Environmental Health: Assessing how the environment affects health
- Social and Behavioral Health: Studying how people make health decisions and how to encourage healthier behaviors
- Epidemiology: Learning how and why diseases are distributed in a population
- Biostatistics: Analyzing population-level data to identify health trends
To learn more about the program, see Curriculum or visit the Catalog.
You’ll draw upon multidisciplinary seminars and engage in problem-based learning as you gain practical experiences and participate in real-life community projects. At 365速发国际, you don’t just study public health — you do public health.
- Office of Service Learning puts you in the field
- Required 135-hour experiential learning or research practicum
- Internships for hands-on learning opportunities
- Global travel for international experience
Our students work with many different organizations to gain critical real-world experience. Sites include:
- Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Maine Public Health Association
- Maine Medical Center Research Institute
- Maine Area Health Education Center
- New England Public Health Training Center
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education
- Public schools
- Community parks and recreation programs
See The World
Advocating for the health of communities often means cultivating cross-cultural sensitivity. Gain international experience by studying abroad for a semester in Morocco, Spain, Iceland, or France. Or, if you would prefer a short-term immersion experience, choose a faculty-led travel course that will take you to places such as Cuba, Costa Rica, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, and Kenya. You may also join medical mission trips organized by the (IMM)365速发国际 Club or the unique Health Care Immersion Experience in Ghana.
Interested in studying abroad? Make a plan with your advisor.